LorettaRoss.com - Achieve Reproductive Justice through Human Rights!
RSS

Recent Posts

Girlfriendin' -- Dred Feminist Rant #15
Dred Feminist Rant #14 -- From the Politics of Inclusion to the Politics of Ownership
The Burning Cross -- Dred Feminist Rant #13
Cops & Beckys -- Dred Feminist Rant #12
From Walk Out to Vote Out -- Dred Feminist Rant #11

Categories

Dred Feminist Rants
Speeches
powered by

My Blog

Girlfriendin' -- Dred Feminist Rant #15

Girlfriendin’

Dred Feminist Rant #15 – Loretta J. Ross 1-20-19

A dear sistafriend of mine was in a bad accident that totaled her car. She called to tell me about it the next day. It gave me the opportunity to check that she’s all right, and then talk seriously to her about girlfriendin’. Listen, after you call the police and your insurance company, your next step is to call your posse! I mean your girlfriend who will go with you to the hospital, be your personal Lyft, call your job, take messages, pick up your prescriptions, talk to your family, and tell the entire world not to f*ck with you today because this is YOUR TIME TO HEAL! Your girlfriend drops whatever she is doing at times like these because nothing is more important than being there for you.
I think the art of Girlfriendin’ is being lost and I’m shouting out to call it back in. So, I’m starting a FB chain about what girlfriendin’ means to me. These are vignettes from my life. Feel free to add your own.

Your girlfriend organizes you out of a dangerous home with a batterer in less than 3 hours so when he comes home from work, he doesn’t know what hit him and why all your stuff is gone. Your girlfriend crawls into bed with you when you just learned your child has died, and holds you while you deal with the worse pain you’ve ever felt. Your girlfriend sighs when you choose that partner with the obvious red flags and then celebrates with you when you finally wake up and rejoin the sisterhood of sanity. Your girlfriend tells you that woman who says she loves you would not abuse your dog to get back at you, but you’ll help take him to the vet, and her out for a drink while she figures it out. Your girlfriend takes you to the clinic to have that abortion, or pays for it when she can’t make it, because she knows how important that life-changing decision is for you, without asking for reasons. Your girlfriend wakes her partner up to take you to the hospital when you can’t afford the ambulance. Your girlfriend pretends she’s a diabetic because she has health insurance so that you don’t die because you don’t. Your girlfriend talks her knitting circle into crocheting pink hats while singing “What’s New Pussy Cat” because her religious circle can’t say the word “vagina,” but will knit their asses off for you because she asked them to.

I could go on. The Power of Women in my life is immeasurable. That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the brothas who I’ve loved and who have loved me, starting with my Dad, brothers, lovers, and political colleagues. But Mamma showed me how girlfriends are with each other. Her friendships with her posse taught me the value of girlfriends who know how to be there for each other, who tell me when I’m being stupid, or getting used, or have met someone I should pay more attention to. It may not be the same girlfriends there all the time, but they earn the title of “girlfriend” when I know that even if it’s been decades since we’ve seen each other, I will never be alone for the important stuff because they are in my life and I’m in theirs. I know I’ll never be totally broke, homeless, hungry, or lonely because of my girlfriends.

Let’s describe what girlfriendin’ means to us!

8 Comments to Girlfriendin' -- Dred Feminist Rant #15:

Comments RSS
6456 on Friday, January 25, 2019 4:18 AM
465
Reply to comment

Jason Bravo on Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:46 PM
I am glad to read about ay baba g here.
Reply to comment

https://customessaysreviews.com/ on Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:57 PM
I am very sad to hear Loretta J Ross's sister's accident news because she was also my cousin's friend. I met her twice last month with along with my cousins and observed that she was was very good girl but the news of her accident made us sorrowful.
Reply to comment

Cataract Treatment UAE on Monday, February 04, 2019 3:56 AM
Hi! This is very useful post for everyone. Thank you so much this post.Just about everything looks good displayed.
Reply to comment

http://www.fark.com/users/bernicestockstill/main on Tuesday, February 05, 2019 2:59 AM
Personally i think that when you’re fighting on the side of justice and truth and righteousness it’s a perfect struggle. You have to know that you are not supposed to be perfect. The struggle occurs when you bring your imperfect self like in this article to the work. That’s what we need to work on because we are supposed to be self-critical enough and brave enough to take risks and learn new mistakes as they go along.
Reply to comment

Suhari Setiono on Tuesday, February 05, 2019 8:08 PM
embeli barang mewah seperti itu. Dan fakta bahwa sayling12 undangan pernikahan modern undangan pernikahan online undangan pernikahan undangan pernikahan amplop surat undangan pernikahan simple undangan pernikahan murah undangan pernikahan unik undangan pernikahan artis undangan pernikahan modern undangan pernikahan artis undangan pernikahan arab undangan pernikahan undangan pernikahan Toko Plat Bordes Toko Plat Bordes Pabrik bondek Pabrik besi unp undangan pernikahan cantik Distributor Besi Hollow Jual Besi Hollow Baja Toko besi hollow Distributor besi beton Sni Ulir Polos Agen Plat Bordes Agen Plat Bordes Pabrik Plat kapal besi baja bki krakatau steel Pabrik besi siku undangan pernikahan simple Distributor Wiremesh Harga Besi Hollow Baja Agen besi hollow Distributor besi beton ais Pabrik Plat Bordes Pabrik Plat Bordes Pabrik besi siku Pabrik Plat besi plat kapal undangan pernikahan mewah Distributor Besi Pipa Baja Schedule 80 Pabrik Besi Hollow Baja Pabrik besi hollow Distributor besi beton Distributor Wiremesh Besi Distributor Wiremesh Besi Pabrik pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80 Pabrik besi h beam baja undangan pernikahan cute Distributor Besi Pipa Baja Schedule 40 Distributor Besi Beton Distributor pipa besi Harga Wiremesh Besi Harga Wiremesh Besi Pabrik Plat besi Pabrik besi cnp undangan pernikahan biru Distributor Pipa Besi Hitam Medium Supplier Besi Beton Harga pipa besi www.pusatbesibaja.co.id Jual Wiremesh Besi Jual Wiremesh Besi Pabrik besi h beam www.gudangbesibaja.com undangan pernikahan buatan sendiri Distributor Besi Wf Agen Besi Beton Jual pipa besi www.pusatbesibaja.com Supplier Wiremesh Besi Supplier Wiremesh Besi Pabrik besi wf
Reply to comment

Nickey on Tuesday, February 12, 2019 12:45 AM
Good to post a view there. Hostgator India promo code is giving you best offer.
Reply to comment

Clas on Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:29 AM
Incredible post. Articles that have significant and savvy remarks are more agreeable, at any rate to me. It’s fascinating to peruse what other individuals thought and how it identifies with them or their customers, as their point of view could help you later on.
Reply to comment