LorettaRoss.com - Achieve Reproductive Justice through Human Rights!
RSS

Recent Posts

Girlfriendin' -- Dred Feminist Rant #15
The Burning Cross -- Dred Feminist Rant #13
Cops & Beckys -- Dred Feminist Rant #12
From Walk Out to Vote Out -- Dred Feminist Rant #11

Categories

Dred Feminist Rants
Speeches
powered by

My Blog

Dred Feminist Rant #14 – November 6, 2018

From the Politics of Inclusion to the Politics of Ownership

For the past 40+ years, I’ve been part of a legion of Black feminists demanding that our voices and perspectives be included in the women’s movement. This was a worthy goal that many of my foremothers also took on and I’m proud to have been a strong link in that chain of freedom.

But we’re at a different time now. Black women have revealed the soul of America in today’s election, just as we’ve done countless times before. This is a transitional moment in human history because for us it’s not about inclusion, but ownership of the definition of what it means to be fully human with dignity – to be the guiding Northern Light for those blinded by their quest for money and power, and for those in resistance who muddle along merely hoping for change. We offer our visions “into the firmament of eternal truth.” We own this political moment and our time is now!

I could list the countless ways Black feminists have rocked the world, or like Sojourner Truth predicted, set it right side up, with Ain’t I a Woman? Anna Julia Cooper and When and Where I Enter. Ida B. Wells and Lynching. Mary McLeod Bethune and Education. Rosa Parks and Civil Rights. Angela Davis and Black Liberation. Ella Baker and Organizing. Fannie Lou Hamer and Voting. Barbara Smith, the Combahee River Collective and Identity Politics. Black Women’s Agenda and Women of Color. Audre Lorde and the Master’s Tools. Octavia Butler and AfroFuturism. Mechelle Vinson and Sexual Harassment. Dessie Woods and Self-Defense. Patricia Hill Collins and the Matrix of Oppression. Kimberlé Crenshaw and Intersectionality. Toni Bond and Reproductive Justice. Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tometi and Black Lives Matter. Marissa Alexander and Stand Your Ground. Tarana Burke and #MeToo.

I could go on and my deepest apologies to others who should be on this list I’ve omitted for the sake of brevity. This is just a sample of the ways our multi-generational Black Girl Magic has transformed society, while still being treated as the mules of the world, to also bring in Zora Neale Hurston. Our philosophies built on our embodied wisdoms are our precious gift to humanity which we have joyfully shared without thanks from many who benefit and profit from our generosity. We may never be acknowledged as the philosophers we have always been because we are not dead white men. But who cares, because we know who we are and what we bring to the struggle.

We are no longer Dickens’ Oliver holding out our hands begging for more, but proclaiming our indifference to whether white America recognizes our insights and power. This also goes for the political mess called the Democratic Party that always calls on us a beat too late to keep up with our radical rhythms of revolution against white supremacy.

I will be writing more on this topic as soon as I can, since I’m in the final throes of my next book, Calling In the Calling Out Culture, trying to offer a pathway for building our power to defeat neo-fascism by aligning our desires for radical change by challenging cruel behaviors in the human rights movement.

These Dred Feminist Rants are one way I let off steam and plant seeds for discussions when my heart is too full to keep my dreams inside. Aché!

24 Comments to Dred Feminist Rant #14 -- From the Politics of Inclusion to the Politics of Ownership:

Comments RSS
Jason Bravo on Monday, November 12, 2018 5:27 AM
I am glad to read about ay baba g here.
Reply to comment

https://www.researchwritingkings.com/review-of-ninjaessays-com/ on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 6:29 PM
Politics is one of the many issues that I do not wish to address. I believe that our society has grown very sensitive during the past century. Many people cannot handle real facts, they would rather hole up and believe what they would like to believe. However, this kind of thinking, in my opinion is very wrong. Not accepting the facts as they presented is a grave mistake. One should always look at the bigger picture and try to determine what is best for us all.

the best essay writers on Monday, November 12, 2018 5:33 AM
Our chronicled story books are great and I regularly endeavor to get history information just like the supporter history students. Verifiable books control us to envision the life of elderly folks individuals and think about their method for living.

Bicadi on Friday, November 16, 2018 12:50 AM
Thanks for sharing this interesting blog with us barbie game online dress up

top 5 video games on Friday, November 23, 2018 10:45 PM
This is a very awesome post.

Kris Thorkelson on Friday, November 30, 2018 12:56 AM
The Canadian machine company has been rocking the industry for more than a decade. This is thanks to the skilled portfolio of Kris Thorkelson that bring the best quality of services to the company lifespan time.

fegi kulmeo on Monday, December 03, 2018 5:26 AM

www.altoconvertpngtopdf.com on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 12:51 AM
Altoconvertpngtopdf.com makes it easier to convert PNG to PDF as you can do it without downloading or installing software on your PC.

1dollarhostings on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 11:25 PM
I would like to appreciate the efforts you have made in writing this article. Godaddy 99 hosting

Dove on Friday, December 07, 2018 7:25 PM
Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. fun games to play with friends online free

810-440 Questions Answers on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:50 AM
Hi, great to see your website. I like the content and the research done behind every aspect of your blog. It looks great and very knowledgeable. Keep it up the good work.

Beatrice G. Napier on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 2:17 AM
Actually, we can find a huge number of contributors that can satisfy your need for funds for educating your children by giving Scholarship check this link right here now to know more

d on Friday, December 14, 2018 5:55 PM
d

www.essaytigers.co.uk/ on Thursday, December 20, 2018 10:09 PM
Politics is a method for diminishing opportunities that were given to the human individual during childbirth. It is the decrease of opportunity and freedom or the battle to recapture it! To some it's an amusement, with respect to me, I'd kick the bucket for my convictions! Each gathering is liable for taking Natural Law rights and that is the reason I wouldn't vote in favor of a Republican or Democrat.

anonymous on Saturday, December 29, 2018 5:07 AM
good
Reply to comment

$2.49 Web Hosting on Monday, December 31, 2018 5:58 AM
Here you more effort with this extraordinary work and I anticipate a greater amount of your magnificent blog entries

blockodilewritesthings.com on Wednesday, January 02, 2019 6:56 AM
This topic is very harsh for me in a sense because I don’t believe in caste, creed, color etc.Anyways you touched very important topic.Thanks for sharing this.

freemp3finder on Sunday, January 06, 2019 7:25 PM
Your blog is really a good platform to get informative posts. It is really a helpful platform.

Otero on Sunday, January 06, 2019 10:38 PM
I will right away grasp your rss feed as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please allow me recognize in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks. I love what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the fantastic works guys I've added you guys to my blogroll. Everyone loves what you guys are up too. This sort of clever work and reporting! Keep up the fantastic works guys I've added you guys to our blogroll. http://cspan.org/

phen375 reviews on Friday, January 11, 2019 7:07 AM
I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this..

Lewis rowlings on Saturday, January 12, 2019 4:30 AM
This post was very well written, and it also contains a lot of useful facts. I enjoyed your distinguished way of writing the post. Thanks, you have made it easy for me to understand. http://www.ncrformsco.co.uk/transporting-company-forms-printing.html

ribbit racing on Monday, January 14, 2019 2:03 AM
Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me.

link building strategies for seo on Friday, January 18, 2019 6:42 AM
I will really appreciate the writer's choice for choosing this excellent article appropriate to my matter.Here is deep description about the article matter which helped me more.

stanthorpe luxury accomodatiog on Wednesday, January 23, 2019 4:11 AM
Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot.