LorettaRoss.com - Achieve Reproductive Justice through Human Rights!
RSS

Recent Posts

Cops & Beckys -- Dred Feminist Rant #12
From Walk Out to Vote Out -- Dred Feminist Rant #11
The Politics of Denunciation -- Dred Feminist Rant #10 -- March 9, 2018
Ritualizing Social Justice -- Dred Feminist Rant #9
Enough with Intersectionality! Dred Feminist Rant #4

Categories

Dred Feminist Rants
Speeches
powered by

My Blog

Cops & Beckys -- Dred Feminist Rant #12

Cops & Beckys -- Dred Feminist Rant #12

I’m moving to a new city next year for a new teaching contract as a Visiting Professor. I’m excited about the new university and the new town. They’re paying me enough to afford a short-term rental in a very high-end gated community. Before sending in my security deposit, I paused and reviewed the recent news about the precarity of Black lives. There's a new way that white supremacy affects my living choices.

I’m an older African American woman. While I can afford to live in a predominantly white community, can I risk it? What if there is another Becky out there immersed in her white fragility and offended if I don’t wave, smile, or parade my white friends for racial legitimacy? What about things I usually do: shop, buy coffee, drive, read books in cars, etc., things for which Black people are harassed by cowardly white bullies and cops?

About those cops, I’m moving to a state in which the police frequently act like Gestapo against immigrants and other people of color. If Becky calls them, they might shoot first and ask questions of my corpse. That's when they'll plant the gun and the drugs to belatedly justify my death. Dare I pretend that my temporary class privilege will immunize me against Beckys and Cops? I don’t think so.

Instead, I’ll select an apartment in a neighborhood more used to seeing people of color living our lives, hopefully one not being gentrified, because that’s another risk as well. The cops may be more meanly aggressive there, but at least Becky will be too afraid to live next to me.

Wish me luck!

14 Comments to Cops & Beckys -- Dred Feminist Rant #12:

Comments RSS
dissertation help on Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:05 AM
The new teaching contract as a Visiting Professor is so motivating for you and for everyone who love this profession. I saw many people love to go to a different city for finding a job to explore the city.

Baby Care Tips on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 2:30 AM
Great post, the subject is extremely useful and informative for me. Keep doing the good work. Regards

research paper services cheap on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 3:54 AM
It is a great news that you will have the chance to move to another area to teach a lot more people and share your knowledge with them. I wish you all the luck and I hope that you will also have a great time there. Keep updating your site where we can hear another good news about you which can help us to have some inspiration along the way. This great opportunity of yours is something that you should really grab, it is one in a lifetime and live the most out of it. There are more opportunities awaits for you and I hope you will do well in everything.

best custom essay on Monday, May 28, 2018 7:55 AM
It's the 21st century already, but there are still people who are discriminating others because of their skin color or race. This kind of action is non-sense and very inhumane. There is no such thing as "level of superiority" in skin tone. We all deserve to be respected and love, no matter what is our background or history. Those building a human rights movement knows that being a racist is a misguided tactic of short-sighted people who makes a division on each and everyone for whatever reasons they may have. We all deserve to be treated fairly and properly. It's a basic human right.

cheap essays online on Sunday, June 03, 2018 6:32 PM
I hope this experience will be positive for you. Don't forget to tell us about it.

Business G on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 4:50 AM
Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative.

Anonymous on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 8:48 PM
OFFICE 2016 PRODUCT KEY I want to thank Windows 10 Enterprise Product Key here, she has won my business and I'll be posting my experience to you and others. My old computer crashed days ago. I had to buy a new computer. It costed me much. My budget was not much. To purchase a Windows 10 Enterprise Product Key from MS was not enough. Then I went to Tomshardware, and one guy recommended https://www.cdkey4u.com/ to me. Their price did attract me. So I decided to try after several emails to Windows 10 Enterprise Product Key. She was very patient and answered clearly to all my questions. I receved the key immediately after I sent {price} bucks. It worked perfectly. I was very very satisfied. I'll be buying from https://www.cdkey4u.com/ from now on as well. OFFICE 2016 PRODUCT KEY

iqoption on Thursday, June 14, 2018 4:27 AM
I really enjoy simply reading all of your weblogs. Simply wanted to inform you that you have people like me who appreciate your work. Definitely a great post. Hats off to you! The information that you have provided is very helpful.

test on Friday, June 29, 2018 9:35 AM
testing

Target Coupons on Friday, July 06, 2018 2:30 AM
Your website is providing so appreciated post to us. Which is so informative for me. Thank you

loemrntdherid1 on Friday, July 13, 2018 2:49 AM
Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well.

nightrush on Saturday, July 14, 2018 2:06 AM
When you have put forth these inquiries and concocted positive outcomes then you ought to simply ahead and play.

1 on Saturday, July 14, 2018 2:41 AM